Getting Inside a Tropical Cyclone

Send to Kindle

Hurricane Katrina. Photo:

"Tropical cyclone" is the technical term we use for very large, rotating storms with high winds, lots of rain, and accompanied by a storm surge.  In the Atlantic ocean and Eastern Pacific, including Hawaii we call them hurricanes. In the Indian Ocean and Southern Pacific they are known as Cyclones, and Typhoons in the Western Pacific. Three names for the same beast. The name depends on where it is.

Whatever you call it, if you want to learn more about these fascinating and sometimes deadly storms, CBC News has a great web page that gives an excellent basic introduction to tropical cyclones with their page on the "Anatomy of a Hurricane." Check it out, or pass it along to your favorite budding meteorologist or storm chaser.

Thanks to Chris Singleton for the pointer to this site.

This entry was posted in Climate, Education, Meteorology. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply